I don’t know about you, but my husband and I have a lot of gadgets. Off the top of my head, between us we have an iPod Touch, an iPod Mini, an iPhone, a Blackberry, a Flip camera, two laptops, a digital camera, a Nintendo DS, and a couple of Koboos (Canadian eReaders). Consumer, thy name is Jen.
We therefore have that very First World Problem of always needing to charge our gadgets – a task that can be annoying when:
- You have to charge it at the computer USB port when you really want to charge it while still using it somewhere else in the home
- The USB adaptor that lets you charge in a regular wall socket is already in use by something or someone else
- Third annoying point. Ok, I don’t have one.
We always say that some of the smartest products are the simple ones – and here is yet another example of a simple idea that helps to solve the issue of easier and more convenient gadget charging. The U-Socket is an AC receptacle with a built-in USB ports that you can install (almost) anywhere. Genius!
Here are the details and features:
- Compatible with iPod, iPhone, iPad, Blackberry, Nintendo, PSP, Bluetooth Headsets, Digital Cameras, GPS & more!
- 15 Amp, 125 Volt NEMA compliant 5-15R
- 2.4A-5V USB 3.0 Power Ports @ 2400 mA (total)
- Charge 4 Devices Simultaneously
- 5-Star Energy Efficient Design – it only outputs power through the USB port if something is connected to it, saving energy in the long run
- Auto Sensing Wattage
- BTO Tamper Resistant Option
- Available In Standard & Decora Style with different colors to choose from
- End User Installable (that’s us!)
- Made in the USA
You obviously wouldn’t need to replace all your sockets with this (unless you are even more gadget obsessed than we are) – just use it in some strategic places in your home that you may want to charge and use your electronics. I’m thinking the U-Socket would be ideal near the living room couch, near the bedside table, in the den, by the kitchen counter, an extra one near your computer and one in the bathroom. Was that last one an overshare? Probably.
The U-Socket, a product that was named one of the best tech ideas of 2010 by the New York Times, is available at FastMac starting at $22.95.